Saturday, September 20, 2008

oregonians are nice


SO, i returned yesterday from the much-anticipated trip to Portland. It was great. Hali's flight was delayed coming from Houston, so I spent a bit of time there on my own, which is always a good time.

While spending a lot of time walking the green streets, I noticed a few things:

1) East coasters such have a tendency to be very rushed, horribly eco-unfriendly, and slightly artificial.

2) The Portland homeless are very, very friendly. They give you tips, don't smell like booze, and seem to be genuinely trying to have a good life. Sometimes they have dogs, and the dogs are pretty cool.

3) Portland is in love with Barack Obama.

4) The public transit system of Portland is amazing. I wish more city planners would visit Portland!


Hali and I had a great time eating thai food and going for a nice bike ride in Washington Park. We also got a little lost, but that's pretty normal for me.

We got in yesterday morning after taking the Thursday night redeye flight. I slept for a few minutes on the floor of the airport, but kept getting annoyed by the loud announcements about leaving bags unattended. After fruitlessly trying to nap all day yesterday, I decided to bite the bullet and just work through it. Had a great time last night at a new bar in Baltimore where a friend of mine works, and for the first time I can remember, I fell asleep on the couch in the same outfit I wore out. I woke up at 7 with a splitting headache, and after taking excederin and falling asleep sitting up, I miraculously woke up at 12:30 pm feeling refreshed and surprisingly not hungover.

Tonight I'm driving up the scenic NJ Turnpike, where I will reunite with Skippy and enjoy a few relaxing weeks in the Double B. It will be so very enjoyable to spend some time with the family, not to mention to have my own bed again.

Yay!

No comments: